Making Challah Bread with a Stand Mixer
Challah bread is a traditional Jewish bread that is perfect for holidays and special occasions. It is a sweet, eggy bread that is often braided before baking. The dough can be a bit tricky to make, but with a stand mixer, it doesn’t have to be. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making challah bread with a stand mixer.
-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons salt
-2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
-1/4 cup honey
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-3 large eggs
-3/4 cup warm water
1. In the bowl of the stand mixer, combine the flour and salt and stir to combine.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the yeast, honey, and warm water. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is activated and bubbly.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture in the stand mixer and mix until combined.
4. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined.
5. Slowly add the vegetable oil while the mixer is running.
6. Increase the speed to medium-high and knead the dough for 7-8 minutes. The dough will be soft and slightly sticky.
7. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
8. Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into three equal pieces and roll each piece into a rope.
9. Braid the three ropes together to form a traditional challah shape.
10. Transfer the braided loaf to a parchment-lined baking sheet and let it rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
12. Brush the loaf with an egg wash made from one egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon of water.
13. Bake the challah for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let the loaf cool before serving.
Enjoy your homemade challah bread!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What type of flour should I use for making challah bread?
A1. The best type of flour for making challah bread is bread flour. It is higher in protein which helps the dough to develop more gluten, making it more elastic and giving the bread a better texture. All-purpose flour can also be used, although it may not produce as light and fluffy a challah bread.
Q2. How long should I knead the dough?
A2. When using a stand mixer, knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on medium speed. If kneading by hand, knead the dough for 12-15 minutes, or until it is elastic and smooth.
Q3. How long should I let the dough rise?
A3. Let the dough rise until it has doubled in size, which usually takes 1-2 hours.
Q4. How long should I bake the challah bread for?
A4. The challah bread should be baked at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Q5. When should I add the eggs?
A5. The eggs should be added after the dough has been kneaded, before the first rise.