How to Make Flaky Pie Crust in a Stand Mixer
Making a flaky pie crust from scratch is an art form that requires practice and patience. But with the help of a stand mixer, you can make a delicious and flaky pie crust in no time. Here’s how it’s done:
-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon granulated sugar
-1 cup cold salted butter, cut into cubes
-6-8 tablespoons ice water
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, salt, and sugar.
2. Add the cubed butter and mix on low until the butter is blended into the flour and looks like coarse meal.
3. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough starts to come together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until it forms a ball.
5. Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out to your desired thickness.
7. Place the crust in your pie dish and fill with your desired filling.
8. Bake according to instructions for your filling.
Making a delicious and flaky pie crust from scratch doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With the help of a stand mixer and a few simple ingredients, you can make a delicious and flaky pie crust in no time. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ #1: How do I make flaky pie crust in a stand mixer?
Answer: To make flaky pie crust in a stand mixer, first combine 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of sugar in the mixer bowl. Cut 1 cup of cold butter into small cubes and add to the bowl. Use the paddle attachment to mix the ingredients until the butter pieces are the size of small peas. Add 5-7 tablespoons of cold water and mix until the dough begins to come together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form a disc. Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out and using in your pie.
FAQ #2: What type of flour should I use?
Answer: For a flaky pie crust, it is best to use all-purpose flour. This type of flour has the right amount of gluten to create a light, flaky crust.
FAQ #3: How much butter do I need?
Answer: You will need 1 cup of cold butter cut into cubes for a flaky pie crust.
FAQ #4: How much water do I need?
Answer: You will need 5-7 tablespoons of cold water to make the dough come together.
FAQ #5: How long do I need to refrigerate the dough?
Answer: After forming the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out and using in your pie.