Making marshmallows without a stand mixer is totally doable and can be a fun and rewarding experience! Here are the steps to making delicious homemade marshmallows without a stand mixer.
1. Gather your ingredients: you’ll need granulated sugar, light corn syrup, powdered gelatin, cold water, and a flavoring of choice (vanilla extract, peppermint extract, etc.)
2. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup of cold water. Stir the mixture until it is smooth.
4. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 240°F (115°C).
5. While the sugar mixture is cooking, combine the gelatin and remaining 1/2 cup of cold water in a small bowl. Allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to bloom.
6. Once the sugar mixture has reached 240°F (115°C), remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the bloomed gelatin and flavoring of choice.
7. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture on high speed until it doubles in volume and becomes thick and fluffy. This will take about 10 minutes.
8. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared baking pan and spread it into an even layer.
9. Allow the marshmallows to sit, uncovered, for about 4 hours or until the marshmallows are firm.
10. Once the marshmallows are firm, use a greased knife to cut them into 1-inch cubes.
11. Dust the marshmallows with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ1: What ingredients do I need to make marshmallows without a stand mixer?
Answer: You will need corn syrup, sugar, gelatin, vanilla extract, and water.
FAQ2: How long does it take to make marshmallows without a stand mixer?
Answer: It typically takes around 25-30 minutes to make marshmallows without a stand mixer.
FAQ3: Can I use a hand mixer to make marshmallows?
Answer: Yes, you can use a hand mixer to make marshmallows.
FAQ4: Can I make marshmallows without gelatin?
Answer: No, gelatin is necessary to make marshmallows.
FAQ5: Can I make marshmallows without corn syrup?
Answer: Yes, you can make marshmallows without corn syrup by substituting with honey or agave nectar.