Making pastry in a stand mixer is a great way to save time and energy when baking. With the help of the powerful motor and specialized attachments, you can quickly and easily make delicious pastries in the comfort of your own kitchen. Here is a step-by-step guide to making pastry in a stand mixer.
1. Gather the necessary ingredients. To make pastry in a stand mixer, you will need all-purpose flour, salt, cold butter, cold water, and an egg for glazing.
2. Prepare the dough. In the bowl of the stand mixer, combine the flour and salt. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the bowl. Using the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients on low speed until the butter is in small pieces and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Slowly add the cold water to the mixture. Increase the speed to medium and continue to mix until the dough begins to come together. Turn off the mixer and remove the paddle attachment.
4. Knead the dough. Lightly flour a clean work surface and turn the dough out onto it. Knead the dough for a few minutes until it is smooth and pliable.
5. Shape the dough. Shape the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
6. Roll out the dough. Once chilled, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into circles or other shapes as desired.
7. Bake the pastries. Place the pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the pastries with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water) and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Making pastry in a stand mixer is a quick and easy way to enjoy homemade pastries without all the hard work. The powerful motor and specialized attachments make it easy to mix, knead, and shape the dough, while the chilling time ensures the perfect texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ 1: How long should I mix pastry dough in a stand mixer?
Answer: The time required to mix pastry dough in a stand mixer will vary depending on the recipe you are using and the type of dough that you are making. Generally, you should mix the dough for 3-5 minutes at low speed, or until it forms a smooth ball.
FAQ 2: What type of dough can I make in a stand mixer?
Answer: You can make many types of dough in a stand mixer, including bread dough, pizza dough, and pastry dough. You can also use a stand mixer to make cake batter and cookie dough.
FAQ 3: What type of attachment should I use for making pastry dough?
Answer: The best attachment to use for making pastry dough in a stand mixer is a dough hook. This attachment helps to knead the dough and make sure that the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
FAQ 4: What speed should I use when making pastry dough?
Answer: You should use low speed when making pastry dough in a stand mixer. This will help to make sure that the ingredients are evenly incorporated and that the dough does not become too sticky.
FAQ 5: What ingredients should I use when making pastry dough?
Answer: The ingredients that you should use when making pastry dough in a stand mixer depend on the particular recipe you are using. Generally, you will need flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and any other necessary ingredients.