Oiling Your KitchenAid Stand Mixer
Keeping your KitchenAid stand mixer in good condition is important for proper operation. To ensure it is in peak performance, you need to oil the gears regularly. Here’s how to do it:
1. Remove the mixing bowl and the flat beater, dough hook, or whisk from the mixer. Unscrew the hub cover on the top of the mixer. This will expose the gearbox, which holds the gears.
2. Apply a few drops of oil to the gears. You can use a light machine oil or a food-grade lubricant specifically designed for KitchenAid mixers.
3. Replace the hub cover on the top of the mixer and tighten it.
4. Plug in the mixer and turn it on for a few seconds to allow the oil to spread.
5. Unplug the mixer and turn it off. Wipe away any excess oil with a clean, dry cloth.
By following these steps, you can keep your KitchenAid stand mixer running smoothly for years to come. Regular oiling will help reduce wear on the gears and ensure the mixer operates at its peak performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ 1: How do I oil my KitchenAid stand mixer?
Answer: To oil your KitchenAid stand mixer, you will need a few drops of food-grade mineral oil. Turn the mixer off and unplug it. Carefully remove the bowl and the flat beater, then use a clean cloth to wipe away any dust or residue from the gears. Apply the mineral oil to the gears, then reassemble the mixer.
FAQ 2: How often should I oil my KitchenAid stand mixer?
Answer: If you use your KitchenAid stand mixer frequently, it is best to oil it every 3-4 months. If you rarely use it, then you may only need to oil it every 6-12 months.
FAQ 3: What type of oil should I use for my KitchenAid stand mixer?
Answer: It is best to use food-grade mineral oil when oiling your KitchenAid stand mixer. You should avoid using vegetable or olive oil as they can become gummy over time.
FAQ 4: Where can I purchase food-grade mineral oil for my stand mixer?
Answer: Food-grade mineral oil can be found at most hardware stores, pharmacies, and online retailers.
FAQ 5: What should I do if my KitchenAid stand mixer is making noise?
Answer: If your KitchenAid stand mixer is making noise, it could be due to inadequate lubrication. Try to oil the mixer per the instructions above, and if that doesn’t solve the problem you should contact KitchenAid for further troubleshooting.